Scott Greene, son of The Taylor’s Buddy Greene, sent in this fantastic early recording by The Taylor Four. The Taylors became a trio in 1958, but early on the line-up included Al Fike along with the later trio members Buddy Greene, Kenny Smith and Frankie Burg.
This is an amazing ’50s era cover of Louis Jordan’s Saturday Night Fish Fry, so it qualifies as jump-blues or even rock ‘n roll considering the ’50s date. On red vinyl with almost no label info, a record collector’s dream. As Scott narrates; “Al Fike sings the first verses, Buddy (dad) sings the next verses, Kenny next, and Frank sings last – he’s got the low voice. Dad’s playing trumpet, Frank’s on the stand-up bass and piano, and Kenny on the drums.”
Herbert Bayer’sArticulated Wall sculpture was erected at the Denver Design Center on S. Broadway in 1985. Many don’t realize that Bauhaus-artist Bayer originally built this sculpture on a smaller scale for the Mexico City Olympics in 1968, placed with other wild sculptures in the “Paseo Olímpico”. Here is Raquel Welch doing a “space dance” among sculptures that include the original Articulated Wall in 1968!
Orville Hagans was an horologist who started the American Academy, School of Horology here in Denver. He was also a writer, he edited the magazine American Horologist and Jewler (which is now called Horological Times).
In the 1950s he ran Clock Manor at 1901 East Colfax. Here is a description, no doubt written by Hagans himself:
Clock Manor houses one of the finest collections of clocks and watches, open to the public, in all of the world. Here is found a presentation of the Story of Time and the artistry of the clockmaker throughout the ages. This private collection has been assembled from the four corners of the world and is a fine exhibit of rare timepieces.
Later in the 1960’s Orville Hagans moved to Bergen Park in Evergreen and took Clock Manor with him.
Clock Manor Museum in Evergreen
Hagans’ description of the museum:
The World’s Most Unique Foundation of Time in all its phases. The huge 22 ft. Floral Clock adorns the center of our spacious sloping lawn and is controlled by a Master Clock inside the Museum building.
I would make a bet that the similar Elitchs‘ floral clock was designed by Hagans, as well.
A rare shot of the 1913 Castle Rock Resort, the dancehall and lighthouse that was once at the top end of the funicular railroad on Castle Rock in Golden. The novelty of taking a train to the top of a mountain wore off with the popularity of the automobile and the railroad was disassembled in 1918. The structure was taken over by the short-lived Colorado branch of the KKK in the 1920s and burned to the ground by arsonists in 1927.